Are you looking for a platform to write word documents without having to install heavy suites on your device?
If yes then you’ve reached the right destination.
What you need is a web-based word processor. These processors have more or less the same features as desktop-based word processors just the catch is that they work with the availability of a stable internet connection.
Composing and editing word documents have now become a part of the routine for many individuals around the world. Hence the search of finding a tool that complements the ease of use is a necessity. Back in the day desktop Word processors were the talk of the town but you needed to have access to a device that had a Word program installed in it.
Online word processors have removed this problem from our lives!
The only thing required to edit a Word file online is access to the website. To get the job done quickly and easily, there are numerous editors available. This article will go over some of them. When looking for the best online MS Word editor, it’s best to look for unique features that make editing simple.
Let’s go through some of the reliable options for Online Word processors.
What Is A Document Editor?
A document editor is any software program that is used to create files and documents that can be printed later on. This software is generally known as a word processor. This software typically involves writing, editing, drafting, and printing material or information about different topics.
Document editing software is used by many individuals and enterprises to compose textual information according to their needs.
Earlier versions of document editors were available as desktop applications which can be bulky on the system of your device. With the advent of the recent technological revolution document editor programs are now available as an online version which made document editing and creation a lot easier and faster for users.
All document editors whether online or desktop applications have the following basic features:
- Word/page count- This feature shows the number of words written in a document and the total number of pages as well.
- Image- All document editors must have a feature for adding images and tools to edit an image within a document.
- Formatting tools- All editors must have different text formatting tools such as text alignment, highlight, underlining, line spacing, etc.
- Spell check- It should be able to detect any wrong spellings and wrong grammatical sentences.
- Table- It should have the option to add or remove tables and manipulate tabular data.
- Thesaurus- It should have a built-in thesaurus to assist the users while writing and editing documents.
Best Online Document Editor in 2024
Online word processors are a great substitute for customary document editors that have to install and purchase. With an online document editor, you will be able to create, write and edit your word documents with the availability of a stable internet connection.
We have compiled some of the Best Online Document Editor Programs in 2023 and 2024 just for you.
- ONLYOFFICE PERSONAL
- DROPBOX PAPER
- GOOGLE DOCS
- ZOHO WRITER
- MICROSOFT WORD ONLINE
- CALMLY WRITER
- APACHE OPENOFFICE
1. ONLYOFFICE PERSONAL:
ONLYOFFICE is a software suite just like Microsoft that provides just about similar services to users. ONLYOFFICE is a personal online editor that encompasses essential tools required to make Microsoft-compatible documents, PowerPoint presentations, and spreadsheets. ONLYOFFICE features online document editors, platform document managers, corporate communication, mail, and management tools.
This program is compatible with online working and works with limited offline features for both desktops and smartphone applications. You can connect the program with any of the following cloud-based storage; Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, own cloud, next cloud, and Yandex Disk.
ONLYOFFICE Personal is a document composing program that features multiple styling and formatting tools, objects, table of contents, bookmarks, document comparison, mail merge, etc. This online editor enables you to view and edit documents directly from your browser.
You can share files with your friends and colleagues and co-edit with them in real time. The online version of ONLYOFFICE Document Editor supports all popular formats: DOC, DOCX, ODT, TXT, HTML, etc. PDF and XPS can be converted to DOCX for further editing.
- Creativity- Create vivid documents with images, customizable charts, auto shapes, tables, Text Art, equations, drop caps, and more. Easily adjust inserted objects: move, resize, align, change wrapping styles, fill with color or pattern, etc.
- Templates- Create professional-looking forms and templates for later use.
- Document analytics- view word count, paragraphs, and characters with or without spaces. Search for a word or phrase and replace it with a new one using the Find and Replace tool. View version history, and select and restore any previous version with a simple click.
- Editing- Choose from multiple formatting tools, insert and edit complex objects, and enhance user experience with plugins.
- Document permission- You can access documents in the edit, view only, review only, comment only and form fill-out options. Restrict copy, download, or print options are also available.
- Tracking changes- You can track your collaborator’s changes and also accept or reject them.
- Document comparison- You can compare two documents and view differences with revision marks. Accept or reject changes one-by-one or all at once. You can also merge the changes and save them as one document.
- Customize- Scale the editors to 100%, 125%, 150%, or 200% to work comfortably on any monitor.
2. DROPBOX PAPER:
Dropbox paper is an online document editor powered by dropbox cloud service. Every document you create using dropbox paper is automatically uploaded with your Dropbox files. This program features a simplified interface with plenty of room for text, images, videos, and more. To utilize the maximum usage of this program, you will need a Dropbox account. Once logged in, you get full access to the online suite. Dropbox Paper also allows you to access apps that let you embed Trello cards, Youtube videos, or SlideShare decks. Other collaborative features include document link-sharing, creating and assigning checklist items to members, or embedding one of your Dropbox documents. Dropbox paper is absolutely free to use and there is no limit on Paper docs that you can create with this program.
- Keyboard shortcuts- Dropbox Paper features a wide range of keyboard shortcuts to help you navigate the tool without the need for distracting toolbars and menus.
- Templates- you can easily create a template of the document in just a couple of clicks to use whenever you need it.
- Present Document- You can use the “present doc” feature to present your document in full screen without having to create a slideshow for your document.
- Timeline- You can create a timeline for your past and future documents. You can also share this timeline with your teammates.
- To-do list- You can create to-do lists with Dropbox paper to track tasks for upcoming and ongoing projects. You can also assign this to-do list to your teams.
- Inserting images- You can insert many types of media files within your document.
- Link other Dropbox docs- You can add links to other Dropbox Paper documents into a new document.
3. GOOGLE DOCS:
Google docs are Google’s alternative to Microsoft Word. It pretty much has a similar interface as Word. It is one of the best programs to edit word documents online. It provides sufficient storage space for accessing all your files in a single space. You will need a Google account to access Google docs. Google docs are synced with Google drive so all your documents are stored in a single secured space. All your edits in a document are saved automatically and the document is updated with each edit in Google Drive. You can also have your documents published as a web page, downloaded, or emailed as an attachment in Word, ODT, PDF, plain text, or RTF formats. You can invite collaborators to work on the document with you or only allow others to view it without the ability to edit it. You can also access Google docs offline by enabling “Google docs offline access”.
- Pageless view- You can add wide images and tables within a document without the interruption of page breaks.
- Shortcut- Google docs has a notion-like feature that allows you to tag people, events, and elements while writing just by pressing “@”.
- Table template- You can create and save table templates for later use.
- Email draft- You can compose an email within your Google Doc and send it directly via your Gmail account.
- Emoji reactions- Google docs now supports emoji reactions for sentences. You just select a sentence and the emoji reaction option automatically pops up.
- Outline- Google docs has an outline feature that provides an overview of the headings and content of your document.
4. ZOHO WRITER:
Zoho writer is just another online document like Google Docs. You’ll be able to create and edit documents with ease. Documents auto-save, you can see past revisions that were made to the document, spelling errors are called out, there’s an auto-correct feature you can customize, and you can upload MS Word files as well as save Zoho Writer documents to your computers in popular formats like PDF, RTF, ODF, TXT, HTML and DOCX. You can simply log in from your Google or Facebook account to access Zoho writer. Collaboration while composing a document is relatively easy with Zoho writer with the unique feature of chatting as you write the document. Zoho Writer is well-equipped with features that allow you to work easily online: two-way desktop sync, large file transfer, encryption, file recovery, two-step authentication, in-app chat, and more.
- Cloud-based- Zoho writer is integrated with the cloud storage platform of Zoho so you can access and edit your documents anytime, from anywhere.
- Collaboration- Zoho writer is enabled with real-time collaboration features which means that users can avoid long email threads regarding document changes and collaborate directly on the document instead.
- User-friendly interface- Zoho write has a cluster-free intuitive UI that eases the writing process for users providing a real-time increase in productivity.
- Document access- Designated administrators have complete control over document access. They can decide who has access to what documents and set permissions regarding what functions they can carry out.
Etherpad is an online document editor program that is intended for collaboration and real-time co-working on documents with your teammates. It is an open-source highly customizable tool for online document collaboration with friends, fellow students, classmates, or colleagues at work. It has a unique version control feature that allows the users to view and retrieve older versions of documents and make changes to them and save them as well. There is a time slider feature that can be used to review existing events as well as export and import features that help users convert documents to several different formats and save collaterals for future reference. You can set up “pads” for online collaboration on documents with your teammates and share them as a link with your team.
- Collaboration- Etherpad is designed to enable real-time collaboration of teams while composing documents. You can set up document “pads” for each team to collaborate.
- Authorship colors- Etherpad uses authorship colors, which means each member of the team on the pad will be given a specific color.
- Built-in chat- You can chat with your and type documents simultaneously with etherpad via the built-in chat feature.
- Plugins- This program comes loaded with tons of plugins, which allow users to shape, develop and even expand Etherpad.
- Group Calendars- You can set up group calendars for your teammates to update upcoming and previous tasks.
6. MICROSOFT WORD ONLINE:
Microsoft also has an online word processor program that allows you to compose and edit documents with the availability of a stable internet connection. To access Microsoft word online you need a Microsoft 365 account. This account will integrate your files to many features provided by Microsoft such as PowerPoint, Excel, OneDrive, Teams, etc. Going online with Word makes document sharing and working on the go easier. However, you can save the documents only in the default DOCX version with Microsoft word online unlike the desktop application. The online version provides the ability to access and see updates from co-authors to your docs literally from anywhere in real-time with only an Internet connection.
- OneDrive- Microsoft word online is integrated with OneDrive which is cloud-based storage powered by Microsoft that saves your documents in a single secured space.
- Autosave- Your changes are automatically updated in the document without having to actually save the document.
- Voice typing- Online version of Word also supports voice typing for various devices.
- Word suggestions- Online word version provides word alternate suggestions for your words.
- Auto correction- Wrong spellings are detected and corrected automatically in the Online version of Word.
- Translation- It provides a read-only and text editing view along with text translation.
7. CALMLY WRITER:
Calmly writer is another web-based document editor and writer. Calmly is considered the ultimate distraction-free document writer tool. It has been designed to help you focus on writing. As you start typing, all the distracting options disappear from the interface. The ultimate “focus” mode of this program highlights only the paragraph you are editing at the time. This lets an author focus solely on the current text fragment, greying out the rest of the work into the background. It is free to use on Chrome and paid as the desktop version. This program is specifically designed for people who are distracted by menu bars and other functional tools available on the screen while composing documents.
- Focus mode- This mode highlights the ongoing paragraph to increase the focus of the writer on building connecting content.
- View mode- Calmly has multiple view options for the user to select from. You can choose between light, dark, dark blue, dune, and old-school modes.
- Autosave- As long as you do not close a document tab, that document will be opened every time you start the application. If the document was not saved, its backup will be loaded.
- Document analytics- Calmly Writer displays the number of words and characters written, and allows you to set a target.
- Additional features- Calmly provide some additional features like Typewriter sounds, smart punctuation, full-screen mode, customizable text caret color, and export to Word and PDF.
Quip is a collaboration and productivity suite for teams just like Microsoft. It allows groups of people to create and edit documents and spreadsheets as a group, typically for business purposes. It has a minimalistic user interface that makes it a user-friendly and intuitive alternative to traditional document editors like Google Docs and Microsoft Word. There is multiple templates option within this program so you can start off your content with a guideline for example It provides Templates for resumes in different categories. If you begin with a blank document, you can still insert useful elements like a checklist, calendar, Kanban board, and project tracker. Formatting options show up in place when you select text.
- Templates- Quip has multiple template options to provide a shorthand to its users in writing content.
- User-friendly interface- Quip has an easy and accessible user-friendly interface.
- Calendar- You can create a calendar timeline for upcoming and previous tasks.
- Access/control- You can decide whether you want your document to accessible by another person by applying multiple restriction options.
- Mentions- You can mention your teammates, events, or elements within your document.
- Collaboration- Rather than updating documents via emails you can just keep in touch with your teammates with the built-in chat feature.
9. APACHE OPENOFFICE:
The Apache Foundation is known for providing free/open-source production-grade software and tools. OpenOffice is one of the numerous software and tools it provides. OpenOffice is entirely free for domestic or commercial purposes.
The writer has everything a modern, well-equipped word processor should have. It is powerful enough to produce complete books with contents, diagrams, indexes, and other features while being simple enough for a quick memo. While the Writer enhances your ideas, you are free to concentrate on them.
It efficiently collects and manipulates valuable data, simplifies document management, and manages writing projects. The tools in Apache Open Office Writer are easy to use and integrate seamlessly with one another. The application that was used to create the file can be used to instantly launch it and open it from any location.
- Formatting- The writer has multiple text styling and formatting options to create an attractive yet professional-looking document at the same time.
- Auto-complete- The auto-complete feature of the writer automatically suggests sentence options to complete what you are typing.
- Auto-correction- AutoCorrect dictionary can trap typing mistakes on the fly, checking your spelling as you type.
- Languages- The writer can handle the use of different languages in your document.
- Multi-page display- The writer can also display multiple pages while you edit – ideal for complex documents.
- Document format- You can export your document in multiple formats with Apache OpenOffice writer. Composing documents can be exported into standard Docx, PDF, HTML, and ODF formats.
Pages is an online word processor suite for mac or IOS users. This program is integrated with the iCloud of Apple devices users so your documents are directly saved to your iCloud with every edit. You shouldn’t have any trouble using the app from the start due to its clean and simple setup.
It also lets people work together in real-time, but there’s a catch. To view and edit documents, the people with whom you are collaborating must either already have an iCloud account or create one.
- Handwriting into text- You can turn your notes taken by using an Apple pencil from your iPad. Your handwritten notes will automatically be converted to typed text.
- Document view- You can turn on the “optimal view” feature from your iPhone to make it easier to read and edit documents via your smartphone. By turning it on texts and images are optimized to fit your screen.
- Templates- You can jump-start your content by using any template from the template gallery of pages.
- Text translate- You can translate text from many languages and replace it with just a single tap.
- Videos- The embedded videos can be played right into your document without having to open a webpage to view them.
- Audio- You can record audio and add narrations to your document with Pages.
- Image editing- You can use the “Instant Alpha” tool to edit images within your document.
Typing word documents is a necessity for almost everyone these days. It is an essential part of storing and sharing information for individuals and businesses. However, composing a word document can be a handful of jobs if you do not have an intuitive program.
There are two versions of software programs that support composing and editing word documents; web-based and desktop based. The desktop-based program requires enough storage in your system which is why most individuals go for web-based word processors.
They only require a stable internet connection and a profile on relative sites for access. However, searching for something that meets your requirement can be quite time-consuming.
Hence we’ve combined a list of 10 reliable web-based word processors to choose from! Scroll right up and select your partner in writing useful documents without wasting your time!