Undoubtedly, Facebook is one of the most engaging platforms ever on the planet. If we’re talking about users, there are more than 1 billion active Facebook users per month.
There can be many reasons behind when one decides to deactivate or delete your Facebook account.
It depends on whether you want to take a little break or permanently delete your Facebook account. Sometimes once you have deleted your account and then desire to recover the account after a few days. Facebook allows you to recover your account before 30 days.
It is always advisable to back up your important data whenever you start your deletion process. This helps you keep your important data, which you want to keep. If you need to learn how to back up your entire data, then don’t worry.
This blog post is about deleting and deactivating your Facebook account and backing up your important data before deletion. If you are interested in queries about deleting and deactivating your Facebook account, keep an eye on this post. Let’s get started;
Deleting Vs. Deactivating Facebook Account
Deactivating and deleting a Facebook account are both different things. When you deactivate your account, your account will remove temporarily. It means your friends can no longer see your profile picture, posts, and comments. But you are still able to use your Messenger and keep your account. After deactivating, you can reactivate your account within 30 days as well.
In contrast, deleting your account permanently means it will finally disappear, and you cannot recover it anymore. It happens when you deactivate your account and never recover it in 30 days. In such a case, Facebook completely deletes your account in 90 days.
How to Delete Facebook Account from desktop
To deactivate your Facebook profile, follow the instructions mentioned below;
- In the first set, sign in to your Facebook account.
- You can see your profile photo in the upper right corner. Tap your profile picture.
- Go to the menu bar, select “settings and privacy,” and tap settings.
- On the left, you will find a sidebar. Select “privacy” in that sidebar.
- When the left sidebar opens, you will see an option, “Your Facebook information.” Now select this option.
- Next, you will find the Deactivation and deletion boxes. Select the “view” option, which is present next to the deactivation box.
- In the next step, a screen will appear in front of you with two options, i.e., “delete“ and “deactivate.” If you choose to deactivate option, you will disappear your profile from everyone, but you can still use your Facebook account. But if you choose to delete the account, then your Facebook account will vanish completely.
- If you delete your Facebook account, select “delete account” and click “continue to delete account.”
- Tap “Continue.”
On the next screen, you’ll be asked if you want to deactivate your account rather than delete it. If you prefer to continue using Messenger and whether you want to save all of your Facebook data, including all of your messages, pictures, videos, comments, and posts.
- To permanently delete your Facebook account and its associated data, tap “delete account.”
Facebook takes 90 days to delete your account fully. Meanwhile, if you want to cancel or delete your account, Facebook allows you to reactivate your account within 30 days.
How to delete a Facebook account from a mobile phone
If you must delete your Facebook account from your mobile phone, follow the steps.
- Go to the Facebook app on your mobile phone.
- You can see the triple lines in the bottom right corner of the screen named as hamburger menu. Select that menu.
- Click the down button and go through “settings and privacy” to reach your location. Then click “settings.”
- Select the option “Access and Control.”
- Now click “deactivation and deletion.”
- You will choose “delete account” and proceed to account deletion.
- To permanently delete your Facebook account and all associated data, click “Continue.”
On the next page, Facebook lets you download all your media, including likes, comments, posts, and messages.
- Click the “Delete account” option to delete your account from Facebook permanently.
It will take 90 days for Facebook to disappear from your account completely. However, you can recover your account within 30 days if you desire.
How to Backup Facebook data
Before permanently deleting your account, Facebook allows you to keep your important data. You can easily back up your data by following the steps below;
- First, sign in to your Facebook account and move to settings.
- You can also move towards the option “settings and preferences.” You will find these settings under the triple line called the “Hamburger” icon.
- Now click settings and you can see an option “your Facebook information.” Click this option.
4. To “download your data,” you will be prompted.
- Then select the option “create a file.”
In this way, you can easily back up your data, like comments, messages, photos, posts, and videos. The data is collected in a zip file, and you can use your favorite software to extract it. Your data will be summarized in multiple folders. The index.html file allows you to archive your data using the offline version of Facebook.
Backup your information using your mobile
How can you back up your data using iOS or mobile phones?? Follow the given steps if you have to back up your data before the deletion of your Facebook account;
- Go to the Facebook app and open the menu.
- Go downward and click “settings and privacy.”
- Click “settings”
- On scrolling down, you may find “your information” and click “download your information.”
- Now you will see circles in front of the information, and you can tap the circle in order to add or remove your desired data as they are picked by default.
- Go down and click format, Date range, and media quality. The suggested options are HTML, High, and All of my data, which are the usual settings.
- Click “Create File”
- Facebook will notify you in a few days that your data is prepared. To download your “password-protected backup,” follow the instructions received in the e-mail.
Select a message service or other social media choice
How can you contact your friends on Messenger after deleting your Facebook account?? If you have a habit of talking to your friends in a routine, you need to tell your friends before deleting your account. Search for another app or messaging service to stay connected with your friends.
You can update a status before few days after deleting your account and ask to keep in contact through any other service.
Fortunately, Facebook also allows you to keep your photos, videos, posts, and notes in apps like Dropbox and google photos.
Remove your Facebook account from other apps.
Other apps like Spotify and DoorDash allow you to use a Facebook account to sign in and use their services.
You’ll need to enter each external account that uses your Facebook information and disconnect it from your Facebook account to take care of those external accounts.
Follow the instructions below in order to choose a list of applications;
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Navigate to Settings > Sites and Apps.
- If you are not able to search for how to delink your account from the service, then you can ask for help from the company.
Once this process has been done, use the steps below in order to obtain a copy of your Facebook data;
- Sign in to your Facebook account.
- Move to settings, and you can see “Your Facebook information.”
- Look at the option “download your information” and click view.
- Under the section titled “Your Information,” leave every box checked.
- Keep the date range set to All of my data.
- Let this format be set to HTML
- If you want to save copies of photos and videos in high resolution, you can change the menu from medium to high.
- Choose “make a file” from the last menu.
Drawbacks of deactivating your Facebook account
There are numerous drawbacks that you may experience after deleting your Facebook account. Following the deletion of your Facebook account, there are several drawbacks.
- You cannot use Messenger once you have deleted your Facebook account.
- You need to create a new account to be able to use Facebook again.
- If you back up your data, you will retain your important data.
- You will no longer have access to your Facebook-related Oculus app purchases, achievements, and more.
- You could experience problems with some of the accounts you logged into using Facebook Login. It could be necessary to contact those apps and sites or open new accounts.
Guidelines for safe Facebook usage
Other than deactivating and deleting your Facebook account, there are some privacy issues with Facebook;
- If you share a lot of information on Facebook, then malicious hackers misuse your information.
- Always keep your password long and strong, so no one tries to steal your password.
- Click General > Ads > Ad Settings to prevent Facebook from using your data to offer personalized advertisements.
- Do not accept all friend requests you get, especially ones from strangers.
- You can restrict who can see older posts on your Timeline by selecting General > Privacy > Your Activity > Limit Past Posts.
- Scammers are always there on all social media platforms. Be aware of scammers when you click any link using Facebook feed or Messenger.
- Click General > Apps and Websites to control which third-party applications have access to your personal information
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I permanently delete my Facebook account?
- Click or tap in the upper corner of Facebook.
- Click Settings after swiping down.
- Scroll down to the section titled “Your Facebook Data” and tap Profile Management and Control.
- Press the Open button.
- Tap Delete account, then tap Deactivation and Delete.
- Select Remove profile. Delete your account now.
Why is the Facebook account I deactivated still accessible?
Answer: Facebook will continue to allow access to your account for 30 days, even after you deactivate it, in the hopes that you reconsider. However, after the account is deleted, all that should be left of it 90 days later are certain activity records that Facebook stores for its use. (If you need more clarification, try logging in again.)
Can I cancel my account deletion?
Answer: You can reverse the deletion of your account if it has been less than 30 days since you first requested it. You won’t be able to access your information after 30 days since your account, and all your data will be permanently destroyed.
Deleting everything you’ve submitted might take up to 90 days from the time it starts.
To avoid the deletion of your account:
- Within 30 days of canceling your account, sign in to Facebook.
- Select Cancel Deletion from the menu.
What should I do before deleting my Facebook account?
Answer: Before canceling your account, Facebook advises downloading a copy of your information, so you keep it and don’t lose any posts you’ve made. This is critical if you wish to save images or posts from friends.
How do I temporarily deactivate my Facebook account?
Answer: To deactivate your account temporarily, follow these instructions;
- When viewing your main page on Facebook, click the account link in the top right corner.
- Click Settings, then select Settings & Privacy.
- In the left column, click Your Facebook information. If you have access to a Page through the new Pages experience on Facebook, click Your Facebook information after selecting Privacy.
- Click, To deactivate and delete.
- Select Deactivate Account, then click Continue to Account 6. Deactivate and proceed as directed to complete the process.
What will happen when your Facebook account is deactivated?
Answer: After Deactivation following things happen;
- Your profile is private to everyone else.
- In their friend lists, your name can still be visible to your friends. Your friends are the only people who can see this, and only from their list of friends.
- Your comments and postings may still be visible to group administrators, along with your name.
- You won’t be able to access Oculus products or your Oculus information using your Facebook account.
- Additionally, pages that you control alone will be disabled. If your Page is inactive, no one will be able to see it or locate it through a search.
There are a lot of reasons to consider leaving Facebook. You can look for inspiration to stop using social media and go back into your real life by understanding how it might affect your efficiency and psychological well-being.
This article will be helpful to you in understanding how to delete and deactivate your Facebook account. Also, consider the factors to consider before deleting your Facebook account since we have also mentioned them.