Twitter is a microblogging platform to publish news, and short posts on current events, sports, entertainment, and commentary. Nowadays, Twitter is the most engaging social media network. People find it useful to share their points of view, argue with someone and catch up with the most recent news and trends.
Meanwhile, Twitter is filled with spammers and trolls. These trolls pose a risk to your online security. How can these spammers get accessed your online safety?? Google and Bing have robots that crawl through the content you’ve posted to your Twitter account.
Do you no longer feel comfortable using Twitter? So if you want to avoid your Twitter account for some time or permanently delete your account, you are in the right place. Fortunately, Twitter allows you to deactivate and delete your account if you stay away from it for whatever reason.
This guide is all about deactivating and deleting your Twitter account. Let’s dive in;
To delete your Twitter account, you have to come across two stages
- Deactivating the Twitter account
- Deleting Twitter account
Deactivating Twitter Account:
If you deactivate your Twitter account, it will temporarily disappear from your app. Twitter allows you to reactivate your account within 30 days of canceling it. Twitter will permanently delete your account if it is not activated within 30 days.
Delete your Twitter Account Permanently:
What will happen if you activate your account again after 30 days?? If your Twitter account remains deactivated for about 30 days, Twitter will delete your account permanently. This way, all the information associated with your Twitter accounts, such as tweets, likes, and bookmarks drafts, cannot be accessed.
Look before deleting your Twitter Account
There must always be a reason for each decision to delete your Twitter account. We’ve listed a few reasons for deleting Twitter accounts. Additionally, we offer some advice on how to delete a Twitter account.
1. Eliminate all Tweets:
When you get frustrated due to so many tweets and want to remove them instantly, you must work hard to eliminate them one by one. You don’t need to delete your Twitter account in such a situation. Fortunately, TweetDelete makes your work easier by deleting all the tweets in bulk.
2. Change your Username:
Suppose you desire to change your username without deleting your Twitter account permanently. Don’t worry; you can change your username without any hassle. Thanks to Twitter which allows you to switch to a different user name to your desired username that doesn’t already exist.
3. Save information on your Twitter account:
Do you wish to bookmark some of the data in your Twitter account? Before proceeding with the deactivation process in this scenario, you should ask for archived data.
4. Set up a new Twitter account:
If you want to create a new Twitter account having the same username and email address as your previous one. Then, it would help if you took this action before deactivating your account.
How to delete a Twitter account
The Twitter account can be easily deleted in a few simple steps. To delete your Twitter account, you need to deactivate it first. Once you deactivate your account, no one can see your profile and tweets. After deactivation, Twitter will temporarily delete your account, but if you reactivate it after 30 days, it will be deleted permanently.
1. Delete your Twitter Account from desktop:
Follow the steps below to delete your Twitter account from your desktop;
- Go to your Twitter account and log in.
- In the home page menu, click the three dots in the left bar and click setting and privacy.
- You will see an option to Deactivate your account. Select that option.
- information appears before you read the details and click deactivate.
- Then, it will allow you to confirm the password and click deactivate again.
2. Delete your Twitter account from the mobile device:
In order to delete your Twitter account from the mobile app, follow the instructions below;
- Open your Twitter app on your mobile Phone.
- Now log in to Twitter.
- Next, open the menu, tap your profile phone, and click settings and privacy.
- You will find an account under your username. Select Account.
- Now click Deactivate your account.
- Go through the information and select Deactivate.
- Next, Confirm your password and then click deactivate.
3. Delete Twitter account from iOS:
If you are an iPhone user, you can delete your Twitter account by following the steps given below;
- In your iPhone, log in to your Twitter account.
- In the upper left corner, tap on your profile picture.
- Next, click settings and privacy.
- Now tap “your Account.”
- Go down and select “deactivate your account.”
- Next, you will find detailed information about deactivation. Read it and then click “deactivate.’
- Then, on the next page, you will ask for “confirm your password.”
- Now, your account is deactivated.
What happens when my account is deactivated?
No one can access your profile, tweets, and likes when your deactivation is confirmed from Twitter. In 30 days, Twitter will proceed to delete your account temporarily. But if you activate your account after 30 days, then Twitter will keep your account permanently.
Once you have deleted your account and then desired to reactivate it instantly, Twitter will give you a chance. You can reactivate your account within 30 days before permanent deactivation.
Reactivating Your Twitter Account:
How can you reactivate your Twitter account once you have deactivated it?? If you make up your mind to reactivate your Twitter account, you can do it easily.
Following are the steps below to reactivate your Twitter account;
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- You can see a pop-up message saying your account is deactivated.
- Search for the option to activate it now.
- Once you have found that option clicks it.
- Congratulations!! Your account is again activated.
Delete your data from Google Search:
Why my Twitter account’s data is still visible even after the deletion of my account?? Yes, your data is still shown in google search results even after deleting every post or tweet. Google is not able to hide your results from web pages to display.
But fortunately, according to google’s algorithm, it crawls the webpages and indexes them. So your information will disappear after crawling and indexing.But if you want to instantly delete your tweets from google search results, then you can request the google search console to delete that particular data.
Do this procedure to request for deletion;
- Go to your google account and log into it.
- Copy the specific link(URL) you want to delete.
- You may find the page “Google outdated content.”
- Paste the above-copied link in “google outdated content.”
- Enter the red button “REQUEST REMOVAL.”
How can I back up my information before I remove my account?
Before deleting Twitter, one wants to keep his important data. Thanks. Twitter allows you to download your messages, tweets, and media.
Following are the steps to backup your Twitter data;
- Choose “settings and privacy” from the three-dot menu that appears.
- Select Your Twitter data from the Data and Permissions menu.
- It will ask for the password. Enter your password and click confirm.
- Then click Twitter. After that, you can see Request Archive. Click Request Archive. Alternatively, you can ask for Periscope data, which will take you to your Periscope account.
- You will get a link and notification on Twitter when your backup data process is completed. There must be a Download archive button when you access Your Twitter data.
What if I want to delete every tweet I’ve ever sent?
If you want to delete all your tweets, then no need to delete your Twitter account. Twitter allows you to delete your tweet one by one and in bulk too. Suppose you want to delete your tweets one by one. All you need to do is; choose Delete from the dropdown menu by clicking the arrow in the Tweet’s upper right corner.
If you find it difficult to delete many tweets one by one, then don’t worry because you can also delete them once in bulk. For this purpose, TweetDelete and TweetEraser efficiently help you.
TweetDelete comes with both free and paid versions. You can delete 3200 tweets simultaneously using the free version of TweetDelete. The paid version of TweetDelete and TweetEraser allows you to erase all of your Tweets at once.
Twitter Privacy Issues:
Twitter is concerned about users’ privacy, but Twitter needs to tackle some privacy issues. We have mentioned some issues related to the online privacy of Twitter users;
1. Twitter gathers and keeps your data and information:
This social media platform records all your personal information, such as links, likes, your device, and even your location. Twitter also has access to your address book. The privacy statement published by Twitter contains further details regarding the data it gathers and the users of its sharing.
2. Possibility of data breaches and leaks:
There is always a danger that your details or passwords can leak and then be misused, as Twitter has been the target of hackers in the past.
3.Twitter can harm weak users:
Due to the risk of cyberbullying and inflammatory tweets, Twitter can damage susceptible users.
How to delete a suspended Twitter Account
Twitter creates a strict policy regarding deleting a suspended Twitter account. You cannot delete the suspended account directly by yourself. Twitter gives two ways to delete such an account;
- You need to unsuspend that account first and then delete it
- Contact Twitter customer service with a request.
1. Unsuspend your Twitter account and delete:
Your Twitter account must first be unbanned from Twitter to be unsuspended, depending on the suspension. When your Twitter account is functional once more, follow these steps to remove the account:
- Go to your Twitter app
- Move to “settings and privacy.”
- Search for “Account.”
- You can see “deactivate your account.”
- Read the given information
- Tap “Deactivate.”
- Confirm the password
- Click “deactivate” again.
2. Request Twitter to delete the account:
Twitter allows you to ask for your suspended account to be closed or deactivated. To use this option, take the following actions:
- Go to the help center on Twitter
- Select I want to close or deactivate my account.
- Fill out the form for account access that appears, then click Submit.
- You’ll receive an email from Twitter with more details about your request. Within a few days, they ought to resolve your request as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I create a new Twitter account using the same email after deleting my current one?
Ans: Linking more than one Twitter account to the same email is prohibited. But if you already have an account, you can modify the email address connected to it. The connected email address will no longer be accessible for 30 days after deactivating your account. Changing the email associated with the account you intend to remove before deactivating it is your best option if you need to create a new account with that email immediately.
2. Is Twitter deletion the same as deactivation?
Ans: Twitter will deactivate your account if it is deactivated. However, the decision can be reversed. Twitter receives the signal that you intend to remove your account when you deactivate it, but the deletion process will start 30 days after 30 days have passed. After the initial 30 days, deactivation can be reversed, but if your account is removed, it cannot be restored.
3. If you deactivate Twitter, do you lose your followers?
Ans: Your following is unaffected by the deactivation for the whole 30 days. Your statistics should remain the same after reactivating, excluding any active unfollows. However, Twitter knows that the number of followers may change over the first 24 hours after reactivation. You should contact support if the counts have yet to recover after 48 hours fully.
4. How to delete Twitter account 2024?
Follow the given steps to delete your Twitter account in 2024;
- Open the Twitter application.
- select your profile photo by clicking on it in the top left corner.
- Tap “Settings and privacy.”
- Choose “Your account.”
- Go there and select “Deactivate your account.”
This blog post is all about deactivating or deleting your Twitter account. In addition, we’ve provided some tips for resolving issues without deactivating your Twitter account. Consider them if you find them helpful.