How To Put Search Bar On Top?
Annoyed that Apple moved the address and search bar to the bottom of the screen in mobile Safari without asking you first? We show you how to put it back where it was in just a few steps. Have you been stewing since you upgraded your phone to iOS15 and Safari’s address bar seemed to disappear as part of the change to the operating system? As you have probably already figured out by now, it didn’t go away completely.
Apple merely moved it from the top of the window to the bottom. This is only one of the annoying things that Apple changed in the iOS version of Safari I will talk about others in a moment but at least it’s one that you can change back. Before you change it, it’s good to know that the bottom-positioned address bar has one possible advantage:
It lets you scroll left and right between your open tabs. If you go back to the old top-of-window address bar, you’ll need to tap the tabs icon at the lower right to open the page that displays thumbnail images of all your open tabs and tap on the one you want. That thumbnail view is an advantage, however, if you keep a lot of tabs open, as I do. It’s easier to pick the tab you want when you can see the previews rather than scroll right and left in a mad hunt.
If you want to go back to the top-of-the-window address bar, Apple gives you two ways to do it, one in Safari, and the other in the Settings app.
How to Move the Search Bar in iOS 15 Safari Method:
The easiest method is to move the search bar from within Safari itself. In the address bar at the foot of the screen, tap the AA icon at the left end. If you don’t see it, swipe down to scroll up on the open web page and it should appear. From the popup menu, tap Show Top Address Bar.
The address bar moves instantly. If you want to move the address bar back to the foot, tap the AA icon again, which is now at the top left, and then select Show Bottom Address Bar.
How to Move the Search Bar in iOS 15 Settings Method:
The less intuitive and more complex method is to go through the Settings app.
- Open Settings and scroll down to Safari.
- Then, in the Safari settings dialog, scroll down to Tabs.
- You will see two icons.
- Tap the one on the right called Single Tab to put the address bar back at the top of Safari.
- The icons helpfully show you where the address and search bar will appear, either on the bottom or top of the window.
- To move the address bar back to the bottom so you can swipe left and right to move through your tabs, select the Tab Bar icon on the left instead.
One More Nuisance Resolved:
When I first installed iOS 15, Safari seemed to have forgotten its Start Page, and when I tapped the tab icon in the lower right and then tapped the plus-sign icon, it offered to open a new tab group, which I didn’t want. After an update, however, the plus sign went to my Start Page again, which showed thumbnails of my Safari Favorites and, under a new Shared with You header, thumbnails of sites that friends and family sent me via messages.
After a couple of hiccups, I got Safari working again the way I want it to, and I’m glad to see it putting its best face forward again.
How to Move the iPhone Safari Search Bar Back to the Top in iOS:
Long-time iPhone users may not prefer Safari’s bottom address bar introduced in iOS 15, but Apple offers a quick and easy solution. The Safari search bar used to be on the top of the screen for the longest time. But starting with iOS 15, Apple moved the search bar to the bottom of the screen so that it’s easily accessible on big iPhones.
Plus, you can effortlessly swipe left or right on the search bar to switch tabs. However, if you are someone who doesn’t like this new bottom-position “Tab Bar” in Safari, you have the option to move it back to the top. Once you do that, Safari will look almost like it did in iOS 14 and earlier.
Two Ways To Get Back The Old Safari Search Bar On iPhone:
iOS 15 and later offer two ways to move the Safari address bar to the top. The first is from inside the Safari app itself, and the second is using the iPhone Settings app. Have a look at both below.
Move the Safari Search Bar to the Top Directly in Safari
This is the more convenient method, as you can do it straight from the browser: Visit any website in Safari on iOS 15 or later. Tap AA located on the left of your address bar. Now, choose Show Top Address Bar. Instantly, the search bar will move to the top and stay like this. Even if you close Safari and relaunch it, the address bar will stay at the top, making this a quick and easy way to switch its position.
Move Safari’s Search Bar to the Top From Settings:
This is the usual method to find all Safari-related settings in one place. You can also use the option here to move the Safari search bar back to the top: Open the Settings app on your iPhone. Scroll down and tap Safari. Under Tabs, select Single Tab. Now, open Safari, and you’ll find the search bar at the top.
How to Switch Back to the Bottom Safari Search Bar:
If you change your mind or wish to give Safari’s bottom address bar a try, here’s how to switch back and use the Tab Bar: When you are inside Safari, tap AA from the top-left. Tap on Show Bottom Tab Bar. Alternatively, you may go to Settings and go to Safari and select Tab Bar. Enjoy seamlessly switching between multiple tabs and better one-handed usage with Safari’s Tab Bar.
What Is the Landscape Tab Bar Option in Safari’s Settings?
Inside Safari Settings on iPhone running iOS 15 or later, you’ll see an option called Landscape Tab Bar, which is enabled by default. When you rotate the iPhone in landscape mode and use Safari, you will see all the open tabs on the top, just like you see on a computer browser.
When Landscape Tab Bar is off, this thin strip showing your open tabs is absent. Look at the image below to understand the difference. You may want to keep this enabled for better tab management.
Apple’s Safari Redesign for Bigger iPhones:
iPhone screens are increasing in size. As a result, most people have trouble reaching the top search bar when using the phone one-handed. But this redesign to move the search bar to the bottom of the screen aims to fix that problem.
Plus, it introduces Tab Bar, which is quite handy. However, it is nice to see Apple give long-time iOS users the option to move the address bar back to the top in case they prefer the old-school look and feel of Safari on the iPhone.
5 Ways You Can Customize Safari on iPhone to Give It a New Look:
Thanks to iOS 15, Safari is now more customizable than ever. Learn the different ways to personalize the look and feel of Safari on your iPhone. Safari is usually one of the most used apps on one’s device. Luckily for us, recent iOS updates have increasingly allowed us to make multiple edits to Safari’s physical appearance.
You can change your background, enable website tinting, change the position of the address bar, and access websites in different layouts. You can easily make all of these changes in your iPhone’s Settings app. Here, we will look at some of the different ways you can give Safari a whole new look on your iPhone.
1. Change Your Background for Safari’s Start Page:
You can use any image from the stock Photos app to change your Safari background. Some pre-set wallpapers are also available for you to choose from.
Follow these steps to customize your safari’s background,
- Open a new Safari tab by pressing the Tabs button.
- Then, tap on the plus icon.
- Swipe to the bottom of your new tab and tap on Edit.
- You will see the Background Image toggle at the very bottom.
- Enable it.
- Choose from any of the options present on your screen.
- Tap on the plus icon to open your gallery and select a photo from any album.
- You can also use a Live Photo, but keep in mind that it will remain a still background in Safari.
- The Edit button lets you customize your Safari start page in several ways. Besides changing the background, you can use the toggles to choose what sections appear on your start page.
2. Shift the Position of the Address Bar:
Apple’s iOS 15 software update brought the address bar to the bottom of the screen by default as a part of the Safari revamp. However, if you want to switch back and put it at the top, you can do so in your iPhone’s settings. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Settings and go to Safari.
- Scroll down to the section labeled Tabs.
- You will see multiple tab options here, including Tab Bar and Single Tab.
- As the icons depict, opt for Tab Bar to keep the address bar at the bottom of your screen or select Single Tab to shift it to the top.
3. Enable or Disable Website Tinting:
Website Tinting is a feature that allows the layout of your Safari page and the address bar to change according to the website you have open. If the website’s theme is black, your address bar will also turn black to match the layout when Website Tinting is enabled in Settings. To turn website tinting on or off in Safari, follow these steps:
- Open Settings and go to Safari.
- Scroll down to the section labeled Tabs, and turn the toggle on or off for Website Tinting.
- If you have not updated to iOS 15 yet, you can still find a similar feature in the Settings app under Accessibility with the name Show Color in Tab Bar.
4. Switch On Reader View and Make Edits to Text:
Reader View tends to rework your webpage into a perfectly organized, ad-free layout to help you focus better on reading the content. The feature also allows you to do multiple things, like editing a webpage and changing font style, font size, and color.
Here’s how to switch on Reader’s view in Safari: After you open the webpage you’d like to read on Safari, tap on the Reader View icon in the corner of the address bar. The icon has an upper case and lower case alphabet paired together. From the dropdown menu, select Show Reader View.
Your webpage will appear ad-free and organized automatically. If the option is grayed out, Reader View is unavailable for that particular website. If you want to make Reader View your default browsing method for a particular website, you won’t have to repeat the above steps every time you open it.
Follow these steps to make Reader View your go-to method for a particular URL:
- Tap on the Reader View icon.
- Choose Website Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Turn on the toggle for Use Reader Automatically and press Done.
- The web page will now automatically switch to Reader View every time you open it.
- To change the font style, size, and color once you’re in Reader View, here’s what you need to do:
- Enable Reader View by tapping on it and selecting Show Reader View.
- Once turned on, tap on the Reader View icon again.
- A new pop-up will appear, displaying multiple options for font color and style.
- To change font size, tap on the upper case alphabet repeatedly to increase and lower case to decrease as much as you like.
5. Switch to Desktop Website:
Today, most websites offer a mobile version and a desktop version to support various devices people use. This increases efficiency and makes the browsing experience more convenient for the user. Both versions usually tend to differ in layout and functionality. If you prefer to use the desktop version of a website on your mobile device, you can request to do so in Safari.
Follow these simple instructions:
- Tap on the Reader View icon in the address bar.
- From the context menu that pops up, tap on Request Desktop Website.
- The webpage will reload automatically to show the desktop version of the site.
If you want to make the desktop version of a website the default option on Safari, you can do so with these steps:
- Open the website you want to change the feature for, tap on the Reader View icon, and a pop-up will appear.
- Tap on Website Settings.
- Now, simply turn on the toggle for Request Desktop Website.
- That’s it.
From now on, every time you visit this particular website, it will automatically load the desktop version of the site. Give Your Safari a Whole New Look With These Tricks. The iOS 15 software update brought a ton of new features that let you change the physical appearance of your Safari to give you a more personalized browsing experience.
From colors and fonts to backgrounds and layouts, you can apply a wide range of edits. So, update your iPhone to ensure all these features are available to use. If you want to make functional improvements to your Safari besides these physical characteristics, extensions, and shortcuts are the perfect way to go.
How To Customize the Google Search Bar:
After adding the Google Search bar to your device’s Home screen, you can customize its shape, color, and shading by following these steps.
- Unlock your Android phone and swipe up on the screen to access all apps. Launch the Google app and tap your profile icon at the upper corner of the screen.
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap the Search widget.
- Tap Customize Widget.
- Tap the icons at the bottom menu to customize the Google search bar.
- Tap at the upper corner of the screen.
How To Turn Off Doodles on the Google Search Bar:
If you are annoyed by the doodles appearing on the Google search bar on your Home screen, follow these steps to turn them off. Unlock your Android phone and swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access all apps. Open the Google app and tap the profile icon on the top right of the screen. Tap Settings. Tap General. Tap the Doodles on the Search widget toggle.
In conclusion, In this guide on how to put the Google search bar on the Home screen, we have discussed several methods for adding the Search bar on Android, iPhone, and iPad. We have also discussed methods for customizing and removing the Search widget from the main screen.
Moreover, we have discussed turning off doodles on the Google search bar. Hopefully, your question is answered in the article, and now you can quickly access Google search on your device.