Wise men say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes, it is much simpler and more effective to show than to come up with lengthy descriptions. Especially if you lead a business, need to perform in front of colleagues, or have a live stream on Twitch.
Making a screen recording of everything that happens on your Mac’s screen is irreplaceable when you need to explain a problem, create a tutorial, share game videos, and provide assistance with complex technical difficulties. And below, we will tell you how to do it fast and easily.
How to Do Screen Recording: 6 Simple Ways
It is easy to make a screen record on a Mac if you know what programs to use. In the sections below, we discuss 6 instruments that make Mac screen recording with audio as simple as A-B-C. Make notes or save our article for later not to miss anything.
1. QuickTime Player
At least once, all users Google how to record screen on Mac. And most search results include QuickTime Player, a media player from Apple. Here is how you can record a screen with its help:
- Open the QuickTime app which comes pre-installed. If you don’t see it in Applications, download it online
- Press ‘File’ at the top of the screen and choose ‘New Screen Recording’ in the menu bar
- Hit a red button to start the recording. You can press anywhere on the screen to record all of it or drag it to a particular area. To record with audio, press an arrow next to the red circle and choose microphone from a drop-down menu.
- To stop recording, hit a black circle button in the menu. You can also use a combination of ‘Command + Control + Esc’ hotkeys.
- After finishing the recording, QuickTime will open it automatically. Then, you can play, edit, and share the file with others.
To save the recording, pick ‘Save’ in the ‘File’ menu or press ‘Command + S’.
2. Screenshot Toolbar
Let us continue with Screenshot, a built-in screen recorder for macOS. It lets you capture everything that happens on the screen, including audio. To make a record with Screenshot, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Screenshot toolbar;
- Depending on the goal, select ‘Record Selected Portion’ or ‘Entire Screen’. You can drag and change the size of the frame to choose the recorded area;
- Head to ‘Options’ and adjust microphone settings;
- Choose the destination folder and set a countdown if needed;
- Press ‘Record’ to start the process;
- Hit the ‘Stop Recording’ button when needed.
Alternatively, the last two steps can be replaced with a combination of hotkeys: Command + Shift + 5 for recording and Command + Control + Esc for finalizing it. The Screenshot toolbar has both pros and cons. Let’s start with the positive aspects. It is very fast and convenient. You can activate the necessary feature in any window without the need to download or open additional apps. Screenshot is free to use, as it goes pre-installed on your Mac. Finally, it offers decent customization – changing the size of the frame, audio inputs, and mouse clicks.
On the other hand, this toolbar can’t compete with third-party programs with advanced editing instruments. Screenshot exports files solely in .mov, so if you require another format, you’ll have to convert the video. In addition, the recording should be started and stopped only manually.
Native applications for Mac have multiple advantages but they do not always boast rich functionality. When searching for a screen recorder, Mac owners often choose side programs with user-friendly interfaces and a variety of advanced settings. The best of them are described below.
3. OBS Studio
If you want to record videos on Windows and Mac, OBS Studio might be a great option. Although it doesn’t go pre-installed, you can easily download it online. OBS Studio is an open-source tool for screen recording and streaming that is packed with many cool features. Plus, it is free to use. The process of recording a video with audio using OBS Studio is rather straightforward:
- Download the app, install, and launch it;
- Set up your video by pressing ‘Sources’ > ‘+’ icon > ‘Display Capture’, and then name the source;
- OBS Studio captures audio from your Mac’s microphone by default, but if you need to record external audio sources, go to ‘Sources’ and alter the settings;
- Choose a destination folder: Controls – Settings – Output – Recording – Browse – Ok;
- Start the recording under controls;
- Hit ‘Stop Recording’ whenever you are ready.
4. Movavi Screen Recorder
With Movavi Screen Recorder, you can capture your screen on Mac without any fuss:
- Download the program from the official website and follow the installation instructions;
- Choose ‘Record Computer Screen’ and press the video camera icon in the sidebar;
- Use the cursor to choose the recording area and press red button to start recording;
- Advanced users can utilize hotkeys and even change their combinations in the settings;
- Cut unnecessary parts with the scissors and delete them using the ‘Trash Can’ icon;
- Press the ‘Export’ button to save the file.
Movavi Screen Recorder has a free trial version with watermarks, supports numerous formats, and offers advanced editing instruments for creating a real masterpiece.
5. CleanShot X
CleanShot X is frequently chosen by macOS owners, as it not only allows one to record a screen but to edit the files with advanced instruments. To get started, go to the System Preferences and disable built-in shortcuts, so that CleanShot can do its magic. Here is what you should do:
- Download and install CleanShot if you haven’t done it yet;
- Open the app’s main menu and select the necessary feature. In our case, click on ‘Capture Window’;
- Choose the area you want to record, whether it is the whole screen or its part. Audio is captured automatically;
- When the video is ready, finish the recording and save it to your computer or share it with others.
With CleanShot X, you can improve the recording by adding annotations and screenshots, changing overlay size, and applying various styles and frames.
Another popular screen recorder is Clipchamp which makes the process simple and convenient. With its help, you can capture screens with audio, reduce background noises, add branded links, and share files privately. To record a video with Clipchamp, press the screen and camera recording tab, choose a camera and microphone you want to use, and then press the record button picking a tab, window, or screen to capture. Afterward, save the file in the necessary format. We recommend selecting HD quality for outstanding results.
This app comes in free and paid modes, and the prices start from $11.99 a month. Clipchamp is perfect for streamers, educators, entrepreneurs, and anyone who needs a quality screen recording.
How to Choose a Screen recorder
While everything is quite clear with built-in software, it may be quite difficult to choose a third-party screen recorder for Mac. Especially when you need to capture audio, record several windows simultaneously, and share the file with others. Here is a check-list to follow when making a decision:
- Installation. Built-in programs are already installed on your Mac, unlike side apps that you need to download. There is a third way to go – browser-based programs that don’t occupy memory space and can be used at once.
- Price. Pre-installed apps are free to use, while third-party programs come with a price when a free trial period ends.
- Editing features. If you want to take screen recording to a new level, you might need various editing instruments. And that is when side programs have a competitive advantage.
- Interface. Built-in apps often have outdated designs and navigation, so you might want something more sophisticated and modern. On the other hand, they are easy to master and use.
Screen recorders are great for capturing everything that is happening on your screen. Either it is a work meeting, live stream, or a family event. Above, we have discussed the best online screen recorders and some desktop ones for quality video and audio. Choose the one you like the most and save important moments for later!