How To Watch Youtube Videos Blocked In Your Country
Most people across the globe have no issues accessing YouTube, except in countries where the platform is blocked, such as China and North Korea. But no matter what country you’re in, some YouTube content is geo-restricted, so you can only watch it if you’re in the right region.
If you’d like an easy way around this when you are traveling abroad, you’re in luck. A VPN can help you bypass YouTube’s restrictions, giving you access to otherwise blocked content.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) encrypts all of your web traffic and sends it through a secondary server in a location of your choosing. Then your real IP address is replaced with one from that location.
For example, if you’re traveling in the UK and connect to a US VPN server back home, you’ll get a US IP address, and it will appear on YouTube that you’re located in the US. The encryption aspect means that no snoopers, such as network administrators, internet service providers, or hackers, can see what you’re doing online.
In this article, we’ll talk you through choosing the right VPN for the job, list some of the best providers, and explain how to use them to access YouTube from anywhere.
How To Bypass YouTube Region Blocks?
Below is a step-by-step guide to bypassing YouTube region blocks with a VPN. It’s quick and easy to do, even if you’ve never used a VPN before.
Here’s how to watch blocked YouTube videos in your country:
- Select a suitable VPN provider and subscribe. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download the correct VPN client or app for your device. Desktop clients are available on the VPN provider’s website, and iOS and Android apps can be downloaded from their respective app stores.
- Connect to a server in the appropriate country. For example, if you’re trying to unblock US content, connect to a US server to gain a US IP address.
- Navigate to the video you want to watch and enjoy!
If you run into issues, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies and reloading the page. If you’re still unable to watch, check with your VPN’s customer support team, as there may be specific servers you need to use for unblocking YouTube.
How to Choose the Right VPN for Watching Blocked YouTube Videos?
When it comes to watching blocked YouTube videos, choosing the right VPN is crucial. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a VPN for this purpose:
- Server locations: Make sure the VPN service you choose has servers located in regions where the blocked YouTube videos are available.
- Streaming speed: A fast VPN connection is essential for smooth and seamless video streaming. Choose a VPN service with high-speed servers.
- Security and privacy: The VPN you choose should offer strong encryption and keep no logs of your online activities.
- User-friendly interface: Select a VPN that is easy to install and use, with a user-friendly interface that makes it simple to connect to a server and start watching blocked YouTube videos.
- Device compatibility: Choose a VPN that is compatible with the devices you use to watch YouTube videos, such as your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
What are the steps to Setting Up a VPN to Watch Blocked YouTube Videos?
Setting up a VPN to watch blocked YouTube videos is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps:
- Choose a VPN provider: Research and select a reputable VPN service that has servers located in regions where blocked YouTube videos are available.
- Create an account: Register for a VPN account with the provider you have chosen.
- Download and install the VPN software: Download and install the VPN software onto your device(s) from the VPN provider’s website.
- Connect to a server: Launch the VPN software and connect to a server located in a region where the blocked YouTube videos are available.
- Watch blocked YouTube videos: Once connected to the VPN, you should be able to access and watch the blocked YouTube videos as if you were in the same region as the VPN server.
It’s important to choose a VPN service that provides fast and stable connections, strong security and privacy features, and a user-friendly interface for an easy and seamless streaming experience. By following these steps, you can set up a VPN and enjoy an unrestricted online video experience on YouTube.
Troubleshooting Common Issues When Using a VPN to Watch YouTube Videos:
When using a VPN to watch YouTube videos, there are a few common issues that may arise. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you resolve them:
- Slow connection speed: If the VPN connection is slow, try connecting to a different server or contact your VPN provider’s support team for assistance.
- Connection error: If you are unable to connect to the VPN server, make sure that your device is connected to the internet, and that the VPN software is properly installed and configured.
- Video buffering: If the video you are trying to watch is buffering frequently, try switching to a different server or lowering the video quality.
- Video not playing: If the video you are trying to watch is not playing, make sure that the VPN server you are connected to is in a region where the video is available.
- Geolocation detection: Some websites and video platforms may still be able to detect your location and block the video even when you are using a VPN. In this case, try connecting to a different server or contact your VPN provider’s support team for assistance.
How to Watch Blocked YouTube Videos in Your Country?
How to bypass censorship and unblock YouTube in your country? It is quite simple. YouTube does not work in some countries.
That means it has something to do with your location. Once your location is changed to the right one, you can access YouTube while you don’t have to move at all. All you must do is target the IPs which give away users’ locations on the Internet.
For example, the great firewall will decline the request and give the error as a result when an IP address from China is trying to access YouTube.
It works the same in India and other similar countries. You need an IP that is permitted to access YouTube. The IP you choose can’t be from China, Pakistan, Syria, or Turkmenistan, but from the country where this video site is available.
How to get such an IP address to hide your real location and circumvent the firewall? This is where VPN comes into action. With the understanding of VPN, it will be clear to you how we can access YouTube in your country.
How to unblock YouTube using a VPN?
We suggest using ExpressVPN to bypass YouTube’s region lock. Here’s why.
ExpressVPN has ultra-fast servers in 94 countries. It’s a breeze to switch between them thanks to ExpressVPN’s easy-to-use app. You’ll have every YouTube video with just a click or tap way, regardless of where you’re located or what device you’re using. And that’s not all.
Their servers are fast, secure, and reliable, and you can usually get connected in just seconds. It’s
Can I use a free VPN to bypass YouTube region blocks?
A free VPN isn’t a good idea for most use cases, and not for this one. These services aren’t suitable for streaming as they suffer from slow, laggy connections that may drop at any time. This means you’ll have an extremely poor streaming experience if you even get to stream anything at all.
Another issue is the low data and bandwidth limits imposed by free VPN services. You’ll only be able to watch a snippet of content before you reach your cap, and then you’ll have to wait until the next day, or even next month before you can stream more.
Free VPNs come with other problems too, including their shady business tactics. While many create a revenue stream by serving you a ton of ads, others will collect your information, including browsing data, for sale to advertisers. Security is a concern, too, as most free VPNs don’t use nearly the same level of encryption as their paid counterparts do.
all thanks to ExpressVPN’s next-gen Light Way VPN protocol. It even works on mobile. In fact, you can get ExpressVPN on Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, router, Linux, and more.
ExpressVPN is offering a discount exclusive to Guru99 readers. Get 3 extra months free when signing up for a 12-month plan. And in case you’re unhappy with the experience, ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why is YouTube content blocked by region?
There are two main reasons the YouTube content you’re trying to access may be region-locked: licensing agreements or uploader preference.
If the content is subject to a licensing agreement (with its copyright holders), that agreement will often only apply to specific regions. Then it’s up to YouTube or the owner of the content to ensure that the content is not available in other regions. In other cases, the uploader may simply decide to only broadcast their content in certain regions.
Negotiations between YouTube and rights holders are fluid and deals are liable to change. For example, fans of Danish music were recently disappointed after YouTube removed 500,000 titles from its library in Denmark. The reason behind this?
Talks between YouTube and music publishers and songwriters in the country fell through, and the two parties failed to reach a deal.
YouTube subsequently followed through on its promise to remove over half a million videos, including content from stars like Lukas Graham and Volbeat.
What if I still can’t access the content I want?
Have you tried a VPN from the list above but still can’t access the videos you want? It’s possible that YouTube has removed the video entirely.
There are a huge number of reasons YouTube might remove content, usually because it violates one of the platform’s many rules and regulations. These include restrictions around hate speech, misinformation, dangerous content, harassment, and more.
Since YouTube doesn’t always pick up on offending content right away, videos could be up for weeks or even months before being removed. This explains why you might have viewed the content before or have been provided a YouTube link that doesn’t work.
Will a VPN help me bypass YouTube blocks?
Are you in a country where YouTube is blocked entirely? A VPN can help.
In China, the “Great Firewall” acts as a filter, controlling the internet traffic that passes in and out of the country. The government uses it to censor content and block access to sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
However, if you’re using a VPN (one that works well in China), you can connect to a VPN server in a different country and bypass these restrictions. This will allow you to enjoy YouTube as if you were located somewhere else. The same applies in other countries that block YouTube, such as Iran and North Korea.
Which streaming devices can I watch YouTube videos on with a VPN?
The VPNs for YouTube recommended in this guide provide apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. Some also have apps for Firestick devices and VPN-compatible routers. This means that you can set up the VPN to work with any of the devices you own.
Setting up a VPN connection on a router makes it protects every single device on your network with the VPN. This is perfect if you own devices that won’t let you install VPN directly.
If you want to stream YouTube with your VPN on a smart TV, you may be able to install the VPN directly, depending on what kind of smart TV it is.
Alternatively, if you own a smart TV, set-top box, or console that will not allow you to install the VPN directly, you can opt to share your VPN connection via a virtual Wi-Fi hotspot. We have guides for setting up Windows and Mac computers as VPN hotspots.
Are VPNs fast enough to stream YouTube videos?
Yes. All the VPNs recommended in this guide were handpicked because they have super-fast servers that work to stream on YouTube and other popular streaming platforms.
However, it is important to note that most VPNs have sluggish server networks that are not suitable for streaming. Therefore, it is important to subscribe to a fast VPN if you want to stream without interruptions.
All the VPNs recommended for YouTube in this guide have a money-back guarantee. This means you can test the VPN to stream YouTube abroad completely risk-free.
Why does YouTube censor videos?
There are a few reasons why YouTube decides to censor videos on its platform.
One reason is to comply with local laws and regulations. In some countries, certain topics are sensitive or taboo, and YouTube doesn’t want to risk running afoul of the authorities by hosting controversial content. Using a VPN can help overcome this restriction.
Another reason for censoring videos is to protect younger viewers from inappropriate material. YouTube is used by people of all ages, and it wants to ensure its content is suitable for everyone. Sometimes that means censoring videos that might be too graphic or explicit for younger users.
Can using a VPN impact my YouTube recommendations or browsing history?
Yes, using a VPN can impact your YouTube recommendations and browsing history. When you use a VPN, you are connecting to the internet through a different IP address, typically located in another country. This can lead to several changes in your YouTube experience:
- Location-based recommendations: Since YouTube uses your location to tailor recommendations, connecting to a VPN server in a different country can result in recommendations based on the content popular in that region. This might make your suggestions less relevant to your personal interests.
- Language preferences: If the VPN server you connect to is located in a country with a different primary language, YouTube might start displaying content in that language or adjust its interface to match the local language.
- Browsing history: YouTube tracks your browsing history to provide personalized recommendations. When using a VPN, your browsing history may include videos that are blocked in your actual location, which could impact future recommendations even when you are not using the VPN.
To minimize the impact of a VPN on your recommendations and browsing history, you can try the following:
- Sign out of your YouTube account while using a VPN to prevent your browsing history from being recorded in your account.
- Use a different browser or browser profile for accessing YouTube with a VPN to keep your regular browsing history separate.
- Clear your browsing history and cookies after using a VPN to watch blocked YouTube videos. This will help prevent any impact on future recommendations.
How safe are free YouTube Unblockers?
Free YouTube Unblockers is a simple and easy way of accessing blocked YouTube content. But they’re not necessarily a secure way of doing it. Some are very shady, and none will give you any degree of anonymity.
So using a free YouTube unblocked might not be all that sense if you’re concerned about security, particularly if you’re trying to access content in a country where the government has strict blocks on YouTube.
For a more secure way of unblocking YouTube videos, we’d recommend using a VPN. But if you just want to watch an occasional video that’s not available in your region, a free YouTube unblocker might be a good solution for you.
How do you unblock YouTube at school or work?
If your school or workplace has blocked YouTube videos, the best way to do it is to use a VPN to unblock the restricted content. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions above that’ll talk you through how to do this.
However, if your school or office administration team has blocked YouTube videos, sometimes, you may find it difficult to get a VPN too.
1. Unblock YouTube with a proxy:
A proxy server works in a similar way to a VPN, as it routes your traffic through a server to make it appear as though you’re in a different location. This will let you bypass firewalls and geographic content restrictions.
However, unlike VPNs, most proxy servers don’t encrypt your data, so they’re not as secure. This means that someone could snoop on your online activities. And you’ll be more vulnerable to data hacks and other online threats.
But, if all you want to do is watch some region-restricted YouTube videos, a proxy server is certainly an easy way to do this.
There are three main types of proxy servers:
- Web proxies
- Browser add-ons
- SOCKS proxies you can manually setup on your browse
There are loads of proxy websites that are easy to use. In fact, using a proxy server to unblock YouTube is one of the most straightforward methods, although, as we’ve said, it’s not the most secure.
2. Unblock YouTube using browser extensions:
Using a browser extension such as Unblocker for YouTube is another simple, easy way of unblocking YouTube videos. Simply download a browser extension and use it to watch banned YouTube videos.
3. Download YouTube videos directly:
There are lots of sites out there designed to help you download YouTube videos so you can watch a particular video offline. Of course, this requires some planning as you’ll need to decide what you want to watch ahead of time.
How to download YouTube Videos Directly Without Unblocking YouTube?
There are several websites that allow you to download YouTube videos to watch locally on your device, but it may take some trial and error to find one that is right for you.
This method may be a good solution if you want to watch a particular video. However, you’ll only be able to watch the videos that you downloaded, and you’ll need to know which one you want to watch before you download it.
To download a video, you will first need to search for it on Google. A URL will appear under the video’s title in your search results, and you’ll need to copy this and paste it into the YouTube download site that you’ve chosen.
From there, you’ll be able to download it to your device. Although this method is slow and cumbersome, it does allow you to store videos on your device to watch later or offline.
What is the YouTube VPN testing methodology?
With hundreds of consumer-facing VPNs available on the market, it can be extremely hard to tell which service is worth your time (and money).
Many unscrupulous VPNs lie about the level of protection they provide or make false claims about their speeds and features. This can make the experience of getting a VPN confusing and frustrating.
At Comparitech, we use a carefully devised VPN testing methodology to review dozens of market-leading VPNs. This allows us to directly compare the world’s leading providers to find the very best for a specific purpose.
Below, we have included some of the important features we looked for when testing VPNs for YouTube:
- Fast speeds for streaming: We run speed tests on all the VPNs we recommend, ensuring that they provide the performance you need to stream in HD on YouTube and other popular streaming platforms. We also check that the VPN provides fast VPN protocols suitable for data-intensive tasks such as torrenting and videoconferencing.
- Global server network: We have recommended VPN services that have a wide choice of servers in the US, Europe, Asia, and elsewhere in the world to ensure you can always get the best speed and unblock as many international services as possible. All of our recommendations have servers in over 50 countries.
- Apps for all platforms: For a VPN to be useful, you must be able to install it on all your devices. Ur recommended VPNs for YouTube will let you stream on Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices. Plus, our recommendations let you install and use the VPN on multiple devices simultaneously. Some even allow unlimited connections to let you share your account with friends and family.
- Advanced features: Not all VPNs provide a wide choice of features. To give you the best experience possible, we look for VPNs that provide lots of useful features at the best possible price point. We look for obfuscation, split tunneling, double-hop connections, port forwarding, P2P optimized servers, ad blocking, malware protection, Smart DNS, and other advanced VPN features.
- Strong security: For a VPN to protect your digital footprint and prevent online tracking and surveillance, it must have robust security features. We test for IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks to check that the VPN is providing the privacy levels it claims. We also look under the hood for robust VPN protocols such as OpenVPN with well-implemented AES encryption and a kill switch.
- Reliable customer care: All our recommendations go the extra mile to help their users. They have guides and FAQs on their website to help with using and setting up the VPN. They also have live chat and email support to let you ask questions whenever you need to.
Up to now, you understand when you access the YouTube website but find out that the uploader has not made this video available in your country, it means that “Video not available in your region” and the video contains content that is not available in your country.
If it warns YouTube this content is not available on this country’s domain, then it has been blocked. Why are some YouTube videos not available in my country? Some YouTube videos may not be available in your country for the following reasons:
Video owners have chosen to make their content available only to certain countries (usually due to licensing rights) and YouTube may block specific content to comply with local laws.
But most of the time it complies with local laws and is blocked for geo-restrictions. How can you watch blocked YouTube videos in your country? The effective way is to use a VPN service.