Are you having trouble backing up or restoring your WhatsApp conversations? So, don’t worry. If there’s one thing I know about WhatsApp, it’s how frustrating it can be to lose your data—sometimes permanently—on the app.
WhatsApp has essentially been my work and life necessity for the past ten years of my profession as a data expert, capturing all of my conversations with clients, partners, and family members as well as my talks with friends and family. Losing those priceless memories carries a heavy financial and emotional price. You’ve found the proper location if you’re anything like me.
I’m going to show you how to properly execute a WhatsApp backup and restore based on my years of data processing experience. I’ll also explain how to recover your iPhone chat history. Additionally, I’ll provide a quick way to transfer WhatsApp chats as a bonus.
Without further ado, let’s look at how to permanently fix your backup and restore issues.
How To Backup WhatsApp Conversations On An Android Device?
It’s likely that your WhatsApp has been configured to back up data to Google Drive if you use an Android device. Typically, this backup is carried out in the background at predetermined intervals. You might not even notice it most of the time.
However, if your Android isn’t configured by default to automatically back up WhatsApp data to Google Drive, you may set things up manually by following the steps below.
Tips For Backing Up Your WhatsApp Data To Google Drive:
The steps for a Google Drive backup are as follows:
- Open WhatsApp and click the three-dot menu button.
- Tap on settings, then select chats > chat backup.
- Click “Backup to Google Drive” on the following screen to begin the process.
- A backup frequency other than “Never” can be chosen from the drop-down menu.
- To back up your WhatsApp chat history to a different Google account.
- It should be one of the accounts linked to your device, to be clear. If prompted, select “Add account” and input your login information if you haven’t already connected to a Google account.
- To select the type of network that will be used for the backups, click Back up. Cellular network or Wi-Fi are your 2 choices.
- The use of a cellular network for file backup may result in increased data usage fees from your ISP.
- Your data will always be protected if you back up your WhatsApp data to Google Drive. You only need to log in to Google Drive to restore your data if you need to. But in order to use Google Drive backup, the following prerequisites must be met:
- Activated Google accounts on your Android smartphone, one or more
- Your device has Google Play services installed and enabled. Updates for Google apps and other apps downloaded from the Google Play store are provided by Google Play services.
- Sufficient room on your device
- Very reliable internet (through mobile data or Wi-Fi, as appropriate).
- Once you have complied with the aforementioned prerequisites, you are ready to start.
How to Backup WhatsApp Data to Local Storage on Android?
The fact that your WhatsApp data won’t be encrypted is the only drawback to backing it up to Google Drive. Your phone’s internal storage is always used to store an encrypted WhatsApp backup. Thus, when you manually backup your WhatsApp data to your Android’s local storage, you are doing so.
You may prevent WhatsApp from saving your information to Google Drive. Instead, you can command it to back up to the phone’s internal memory.
Here are the procedures for backing up WhatsApp data to a local drive.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone, hit the 3-dot menu symbol, choose Settings, then select Chats, Chat Backup, and Google Drive as your backup location.
- From the following pop-up, choose Never.
- To begin the backup to your phone’s internal storage, touch the backup button one last time.
Your WhatsApp data will only be kept on your Android’s local storage if you complete the procedures above. The backup data is often kept in internal storage. On the other hand, if your phone has an SD Card, the backup data might be kept there.
How Can End-to-End Encrypted Backup Be Enabled?
The following section is my favorite. Most engineers are passionate about encryption. What is end-to-end encryption and why is it so unique, then?
A sort of additional protection for your chats is end-to-end encryption. It makes sure that messages can only be seen or heard by the parties you are interacting with. Nobody else, not even WhatsApp, has access to or is aware of the conversations you have with the other user.
Your chats and media are kept on cloud servers when you set up an end-to-end encrypted backup. A password or 64-digit encryption key is used to protect them.
You must enter the password or key to restore your backed-up data if you lose your WhatsApp data. You won’t be able to access your end-to-end encrypted backup files if you misplace this key. Even WhatsApp won’t help you change your password. Therefore, you must maintain the encryption key or password secure.
How To Set Up End-To-End Encryption Is Shown Here.
Activate the WhatsApp settings.
- Select chats > backup > end-to-end encrypted backup
- After selecting Turn On, create a password or key by following the onscreen instructions.
- Tap Create on the following screen, then watch as the end-to-end backup is processed.
- If you’re a skeptic, you’ll probably want to physically see your backups before you believe they exist. Then continue reading. You’re protected by me.
How To Find A Backup Of WhatsApp in Google Drive?
- Enter your Google ID to sign in at Drive.Google.com.
- Click on settings by selecting the Settings icon (gear symbol).
- Click Manage Apps on the following page. By doing so, a list of the applications with access to your Google Drive storage will appear. Until you see WhatsApp Messenger, scroll down.
- The evidence Is found if WhatsApp Messenger appears in the drop-down list. Only if your data is being saved on your Google Drive will WhatsApp be visible there.
- If you’re still not persuaded, go back and do steps 1 and 2 again. Next, select “view items taking up too much space” from the general tab. Go to backup next, where you’ll discover the WhatsApp backup file that includes your phone number.
How To Restore WhatsApp Backup To Android?
First, you must determine where your WhatsApp backup is kept, whether it is on your Google Drive or in the phone’s internal memory. Then look below to locate a technique that will work for you.
The Best Way To Recover WhatsApp From Internal Storage
If you have a backup of your WhatsApp messages on your phone’s local storage, you can recover them by following these easy steps:
- Launch the file manager program.
- Go to databases > WhatsApp. Your data could be kept on an SD card or in the memory of your phone. Check the other if you can’t locate it there. Copy the most recent backup to your phone’s internal storage if it is located on the SD Card.
- Install and open your WhatsApp, and also verify your phone number.
- Click Restore when prompted to restore your data from the local backup.
- Simply wait a few minutes after completing the aforementioned steps for your previous data to be recovered.
Restoring From Google Drive: Steps
These are the precise procedures you need to take in order to retrieve your WhatsApp conversations from Google Drive:
- If you haven’t already, link your Android device to a Google account. The Google account that stores your WhatsApp backup should be this one.
- Open WhatsApp and install it. Then, confirm your phone number.
- When prompted, select Restore. This begins the process of restoring your Google Drive chat history.
- When the restoration process is finished, select Next to view your chats.
- Even after your chats have been restored, WhatsApp frequently keeps working in the background to restore your media assets.
How to Transfer WhatsApp Backup to an iPhone?
It can be more difficult for iPhone users to restore their WhatsApp data on their iPhone than it is for Android users. You may still do it without much difficulty, though.
The numerous methods and procedures to restore your WhatsApp data on your iPhone are listed below.
How to Use iCloud to Restore WhatsApp Backup?
You must first confirm that an iCloud backup is present. Go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup to find it. Ensure that the Apple ID you used to access iCloud is the one you are using to sign in. Additionally, iCloud Drive needs to be activated.
Second, your iPhone and iCloud must both have enough free space. You require free space that is at least twice as big as the backup’s real size. Make sure you have this much free space on both your iPhone and your iCloud account.
The number you used for backup must also be used for restoration.
The only thing left to do is install and activate WhatsApp using your phone number once the aforementioned requirements have been satisfied. Then, follow the instructions to recover your chat history.
How To Transfer WhatsApp Chats From An Android Backup To An iPhone?
To move your WhatsApp data from an Android to an iPhone in this situation, you will want a professional transfer program. Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer is an extremely useful tool and is one of the best out there.
- Simply follow the steps below to experience how it’s done.
- Android users can restore their WhatsApp backups.
- Make sure the backup is on your phone.
- The Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer Download
- Connect your iPhone and Android device to a computer.
- Select Transfer.
- Your data has been successfully moved from an Android handset to an iPhone.
- If you’re wondering why Mobitrix is superior to competing applications, the following are some reasons:
- Simple to use
- 40% quicker than alternative tools
- Keeps data secret and secure.
How To Restore WhatsApp Backup On An iPhone from Google Drive?
Using the Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer program, restoring your WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to a new iPhone is also simple.
- On your Android phone, you must first reinstall WhatsApp and then restore the backup. You should continue as instructed after entering the phone number you used to back up your WhatsApp data.
- Hit the Restore button once your WhatsApp backup has been found, then wait while the backup data is fully restored. The rest will be handled by Mobitrix:
- Open the “Transfer WhatsApp between Devices” option in Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer on your computer.
- Utilize USB cords to connect your iPhone and Android devices to your computer. In order for the software to recognize them, you must unlock the iPhone and enable Android USB debugging.
- Click the Transfer button to start the transfer once Mobitrix has identified both devices. Both devices must remain linked.
- Once finished, your iPhone will once again be able to access your WhatsApp conversations.
Like me, if you’ve used WhatsApp for a while, you’ll need to know how to successfully backup and restore your data. In this article, I’ve given you a variety of techniques for backing up and restoring your chats. 99% of WhatsApp users can get their backup and restoration issues resolved using these techniques.
Simply use any of the techniques that work for you if you ever find yourself in need of a backup or restoration.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How is WhatsApp backup implemented?
Backups produced on WhatsApp are linked to the Google account and phone number used to create them. Google may automatically destroy WhatsApp backups that haven’t been updated in the last five months. We advocate often backing up your WhatsApp data in order to prevent the loss of any backups. It can take some time to finish the initial backup.
Where is a backup of WhatsApp kept?
In Google Drive, you may access the backups of your mobile device or WhatsApp chat messages, as well as check the status of your backups. The following things are backup-and-restore compatible: data on WhatsApp. Backups for Android devices.
What size is the WhatsApp backup storage cap?
Users could have a choice in the types of data and communications they upload to the backup. Going ahead, it’s probable that Google will count the conversation backups against the 15GB allotted for free storage.
Does WhatsApp do regular backups?
Every day, an automatic backup and save of your WhatsApp conversations is made to your phone’s memory. You can also routinely backup your WhatsApp chats to Google Drive, depending on your settings.